Over time, working from home can take a toll on your mental health and productivity. As social beings, we need to engage and interact with others in order to maintain a healthy state of mind.
Table of Contents
If you notice the toll that a lack of social interaction is taking on you, coworking spaces might just be your solution. Today, we'll explore eight ways that coworking spaces can lift your spirits and profoundly impact your mental health for the better.
1. Networking and social interaction
Coworking spaces are dynamic ecosystems where professionals from various fields converge. They are communities brimming with diverse professionals, each with unique stories and skills.
Preparing a simple beverage like coffee can often spark discussion, introduce a new idea, or even incite novel collaboration.
Based on data published by the Harvard Business Review, there is a diverse distribution of professions in these shared spaces, with 29% of business owners and the rest comprising various other professional backgrounds.
This mix can create:
- A rich resource pool – Coworking spaces bring together people with various skills and experiences. This variety can lead to the exchange of fresh perspectives and innovative ideas
- Unforeseen collaborations – Spontaneous interactions can potentially lead to surprisingly productive collaborations and heightened productivity. A study conducted by Deskmag and Deskwanted showed that 74% of coworkers reported increased productivity
Interacting with others in these spaces can significantly alleviate feelings of isolation and loneliness, which are common among remote workers. Engaging with people who think alike can help cultivate a sense of community, leading to a more optimistic mental state.
2. Work-life balance
Coworking spaces also play a pivotal role in establishing a clear distinction between work and personal life. Working from home often blurs this line, leading to overwork and burnout.
Conversely, a shared workspace enables you to compartmentalize your work and personal life, advocating a more balanced lifestyle. The power of social engagement is instrumental in maintaining our mental wellness.
The Harvard Business Review reports that people who belong to coworking spaces perceive their work as more meaningful. This can be attributed to:
- Alleviating loneliness: Coworking spaces can help reduce feelings of isolation, which are common among remote workers. A 2019 Buffer report on remote work found that some remote workers reported loneliness as their biggest struggle
- Sense of community: These spaces provide a community for like-minded individuals to connect, fostering a sense of belonging. A Global Coworking Survey by Shareable found that 89% of people reported being happier since joining a coworking space
Maintaining this balance is crucial for mental health. It allows us to recharge, prevents burnout, and gives us time to pursue hobbies and relationships outside of work, all contributing to better mental well-being.
3. Access to resources and support
One significant perk of coworking spaces is their abundant resources and support systems. Workshops, events, mentorship programs – the list goes on. These resources contribute to your professional growth and act as a career explorer.
- Workshops and events: Some coworking spaces organize skill-based workshops, industry talks, and networking events, aiding members to gain new insights, skills, and connections
- Mentorship programs: More than half of coworking spaces reported offering mentorship programs, connecting professionals with industry veterans to help their career progression
These resources offer continuous learning and professional development opportunities, which can significantly enhance job satisfaction. Having access to these resources and being able to learn, grow, and share can significantly reduce the feeling of being overwhelmed, making coworking spaces an oasis of mental well-being.
4. Security cameras for peace of mind
Coworking spaces frequently employ security cameras, providing an indispensable sense of safety and security to their users. The devices installed by coworking spaces can include a 360 panoramic camera system, motion-sensing surveillance cameras, and AI cameras.
Various research findings and statistical data underline the importance of this security measure. Here are some of them:
- Reduced Anxiety: According to a survey, 12% of Americans listed personal safety as a significant source of stress. A significant percentage of this stress can be mitigated with an environment monitored through security cameras, allowing individuals to concentrate on their work with a calm and relaxed mind
- Increased Productivity: As per a study published in Oxford, the perceived safety of a workspace directly influences productivity. Staff members who feel secure within their work setting can be up to 13% more efficient than their counterparts in less protected environments
- Enhanced Trust: Security cameras can also enhance the sense of trust among workspace users
5. Flexible work environment
The essence of coworking spaces lies in the flexibility they offer. Whether you prefer the seclusion of a private office, the dynamic energy of open seating areas, or the structured setting of meeting rooms, coworking spaces cater to various work styles and needs.
The inherent flexibility of these spaces has demonstrated quantifiable benefits in terms of productivity and stress management:
- Boosted productivity: A study conducted by Harvard Business Review in 2023 reported that those using coworking spaces experienced increased productivity. This was primarily attributed to the ability to select a workspace that best suits individual working styles
- Reduced stress levels: The choice to control one's work environment reduces feelings of tension and stress. A 2021 survey by the American Institute of Stress found that 41% of workers felt less stressed when they had more control over their working environment
- Improved mental health: According to a report by the Global Coworking Unconference Conference (GCUC) in 2022, 68% of coworkers reported improvements in their mental health after moving to coworking spaces. The flexibility offered by these spaces was identified as a significant factor contributing to this improvement
- Better Work-Life Balance – Flexibility in coworking spaces also allows for a better work-life balance. A survey by DeskMag in 2022 found that 62% of coworking space users reported an improved work-life balance, largely credited to the control over their work environment.
- Increased Job Satisfaction: A study published in the Journal of Business and Psychology found that flexibility and control over one's work environment lead to increased job satisfaction. Roughly 53% of people surveyed expressed a greater degree of job satisfaction when given the liberty to select their working environment.
6. Commercial key fob systems for convenience
Many coworking spaces employ commercial key fob systems, which offer convenience and ease of access without compromising security. These systems contribute to several benefits, including:
- Enhanced security: Commercial key fob systems provide a secure access control solution for coworking spaces. Each key fob is programmed with a unique signature that is recognized by the system's network of key fob readers. This arrangement allows only those with appropriate access to enter the building, minimizing the threat of unauthorized admission and increasing security comprehensively.
- Convenience and flexibility: Key fobs are easy to use and can be carried in a pocket or attached to a keychain. They provide a convenient and hassle-free way for members to access the coworking space. Additionally, these systems offer flexibility in programming and updating access privileges. If a key fob is lost, stolen, or needs to be deactivated due to resignation or membership cancellation, the system can be easily updated to reflect the changes.
- Efficient access management: Key fob systems streamline access management in coworking spaces. By leveraging key fobs, workspace managers can easily track and monitor entry and exit data. This information can be used to optimize space utilization, understand occupancy patterns, and make informed decisions regarding space allocation and security measures
- Integration with Technology: Commercial key fob solutions can be integrated with other technologies and management systems used in coworking spaces. For example, these systems can be connected to CRM platforms, enabling seamless access control and operations management. This integration enhances overall efficiency and provides a comprehensive solution for managing physical access and operations in the space
- Cost-Effectiveness: While hiring on-site security staff can be expensive and management-intensive, key fob systems offer a cost-effective alternative for access control in coworking spaces. The long-term benefits of increased security, streamlined operations, and improved space management may offset the initial investment in setting up the system.
A convenient and seamless access system such as this reduces minor day-to-day stressors, helping to maintain a positive mental state while at work.
7. Collaboration and creativity
Coworking spaces are a hotbed for collaboration and creativity. Working in proximity to people from different backgrounds and industries can stimulate fresh ideas and creative thinking.
The collaborative environment of a coworking space can improve mental well-being by encouraging engagement, sparking innovation, and promoting a sense of accomplishment. In short, it offers a positive and mentally stimulating workspace.
8. Cost-effective solution
Finally, coworking spaces are a cost-effective solution compared to traditional office leases. For freelancers, startups, and small businesses, this cost-saving can significantly reduce financial stress. Reducing financial stress can positively ripple effect on poor focus, leading to a happier, more content mindset.
Coworking for Calm
Coworking spaces offer networking opportunities and a healthy work-life balance to promote creativity. It's clear that these spaces offer much more than a desk and internet connection; they provide a nurturing environment that fosters professional growth and mental well-being.
If you're exploring work environment options, consider a coworking space. The value of coworking spaces extends beyond their affordability and adaptability and into the potential mental health enhancement they can offer.